Address: Concord, CA 94520, United States
If you’re looking for a peaceful outdoor adventure, look no further than the Iron Horse Trail near Concord, California! With an impressive 45.5-km length, the trail is perfect for horseback riding, road biking, or even running – but don’t worry about crowds – it’s generally considered an easy route and gives you plenty of chances to enjoy some alone time if you decide to go during quieter times of the day. Plus, the trail is open year-round and always offers stunning views. Furry friends are welcome to join in on the fun, but just make sure they keep their leash on. All in all, it’s a great way to unwind with nature!
Description: Iron Horse Trail is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts! The fact that it is a paved multi-use path means that it can accommodate a variety of activities, from walking to cycling to rollerblading. The multiple access points along the route also make it convenient for people to hop on or off the trail at various locations.
While there are street crossings along the way, it’s good to hear that most of them are quiet. However, it’s still important for users of the trail to exercise caution when crossing any roads or intersections. It may be helpful to follow any posted signage or signals and to be aware of any potential hazards or obstructions along the path.
Accessibility: It’s great to hear that there is at least one designated accessible space in the paved parking lot off of Las Trampas Road at the north end of the Iron Horse Trail. The fact that it is van-accessible and has striped access aisles means that it can accommodate a range of mobility needs.
It’s also helpful to know that the trail surface is paved asphalt and typically at least 10 feet wide, which should provide plenty of room for users to navigate the path. However, it’s important to note that some steeper sections may require assistance for wheelchair/mobility equipment or stroller users, or they may need to avoid these sections for safety.
Overall, it’s great to see that the Iron Horse Trail is making efforts to ensure that all users, regardless of mobility needs, can access and enjoy the trail. Having designated accessible spaces and a smooth, wide path can make a big difference for many people.
Things to do in Iron Horse Trail
- Horseback riding – Saddle up and take a scenic ride along the Iron Horse Trail. The trail is perfect for people of all experience levels, so even if you’ve never been on a horse before, you can still join in the fun!
- Road biking – The Iron Horse Trail has plenty of opportunities for you to explore the area on two wheels. Take a leisurely ride or amp up the intensity and take some of the more challenging turns along the way!
- Hiking – For those who prefer to explore nature on foot, there are several trails that meander throughout the Iron Horse Trail. Enjoy breathtaking views while getting some exercise!
- Picnicking – Picnic spots are plentiful along the Iron Horse Trail, so grab a blanket and make a day out of it! Enjoy a relaxing meal in nature while taking in all that this beautiful area has to offer.
- Birdwatching – Bird Watchers will love all that can be seen and heard at the Iron Horse Trail. With so much diverse wildlife, you may even spot some species rarely seen elsewhere.
- Wheelchair friendly – If you’re looking to get some fresh air but have trouble standing for long periods of time, Iron Horse Trail has got your back! With its accessible and wide pathways, wheelchair users can enjoy the great outdoors without worry.
- Bike paths – For those who prefer two wheels over four, Iron Horse Trail is an amazing choice with its dedicated bike lanes that take riders through a variety of terrains. Enjoy the scenic views while keeping safe!
- Restrooms – Who wants to go on a nature walk only to find themselves stuck in their own bathroom emergency? Thankfully, Iron Horse Trail has pleasant restrooms situated along the trail, so you can stay out as long as you want with no worries.
- Picnic areas – Nothing quite beats an outdoor picnic in the summer sun, and Iron Horse Trail’s dedicated picnic areas make it a perfect place to do just that. The tables are well maintained and located throughout the trail, so you can find just the right spot for your alfresco lunch.
- Kid-friendly – Iron Horse Trail is the perfect place for kids to explore and get some exercise. With its wide pathways and gentle inclines, it’s a great spot for both little ones and youngsters alike.
- Stroller-friendly – For those with a newborn or two, Iron Horse Trail offers plenty of room for strollers. The pathways are spacious and there’s no need to worry about getting stuck in the mud.
- Pet friendly – Your four-legged friends can also join you on your outdoor adventure at Iron Horse Trail! With its well-maintained paths and wide open spaces, it’s the perfect place to bring your pooch along for some quality time outdoors.
Map From Iron Horse Trail to Our Location
Concord, California is blessed with some of the area’s most incredible trails for you to enjoy with your pooch! Here’s a list of some of our favorites:
- Ohlone Trail Parking (Lime Ridge)
- Markham Nature Area
- Crystl Ranch TrailHead
- Iron Horse Trail
- Lime Ridge Open Space
- Black Diamond Hiking Trail Near Oakhurst
- Newhall Community Park
- Contra Costa Canal Trail
- Len Hester Park
All of these beautiful trails are located just a short distance from our historic location at 1045 Shary Court in Concord! Stop by for a visit anytime!