If you’re in Concord, California, and looking for a place to relax, look no further than Markham Nature Area. This picturesque park is packed with amenities that any nature lover would appreciate – winding trails, lush open lawns, and meticulously maintained gardens are just some of its highlights. Those who enjoy plants and flowers will particularly be drawn to its vibrant arboretum. Plus, due to its compact size, it’s easy to explore the area while still observing social distancing! Have a peaceful time exploring the sights and smells of Markham Nature Area!
About Markham Nature Area
Markham Nature Area is a beautiful and peaceful oasis located in the heart of Concord, California. This 17-acre park is a popular destination for hikers, birdwatchers, and nature enthusiasts looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life.
The park features a variety of trails that wind through lush forests, grassy meadows, and wetlands. The trails are well-maintained and marked, making it easy for visitors to explore the park at their own pace. Along the way, hikers can spot a variety of native wildlife, including birds, squirrels, and rabbits.
In addition to hiking, the Markham Nature Area offers a variety of other activities for visitors to enjoy. The park has a picnic area with tables and grills, making it a great spot for a family barbecue or a romantic picnic. There are also several benches scattered throughout the park where visitors can relax and enjoy the scenery.
Markham Nature Area is a great place to visit year-round, but it is especially beautiful in the spring when the wildflowers are in bloom. During this time, the park comes alive with color and is a popular spot for photographers looking to capture the beauty of nature.
Overall, the Markham Nature Area is a wonderful place to spend a day in nature. Whether you’re looking to hike, bird watch, or simply relax, this park offers something for everyone. If you’re in the Concord area, be sure to make a stop at this hidden gem and discover the beauty of the natural world.
In 1981, a small group of Concord residents who had a passion for gardening founded what would later become known as the Markham Regional Arboretum Society. They had Ira and Bea Markham to thank for the sale of a piece of their land to the City of Concord in 1966, and their intention was to develop the remaining portion of it into a lovely arboretum.
They wanted to make the Markhams’ idea of leaving a legacy of natural beauty for all of the people in the region come true, so they worked hard to accomplish this. It was a vision of a location full of unusual and beautiful trees, bushes, and plants from all over the world that thrive in our inland environment that is impacted by the ocean. In the summer, we get scorching days and chilly evenings, and in the winter, we have cold, frosty nights.
There are less than twenty blocks separating the Markham Nature Park and Arboretum from the heart of Concord, but it feels like a world away. The majority of it is still in its natural state, with vegetation that has only been somewhat tamed, and its main entrance is located at the southernmost end of La Vista Avenue. Galindo Creek, which is surrounded by trees, flows through it.
Things to do in Markham Nature Area
- Take a Hike at Markham Nature Area: There’s no better way to take in the beauty of this nature area than taking a hike through its lush green trees and peaceful trails. Enjoy a leisurely stroll or an adventurous trek – whatever your preference, you’re sure to appreciate the wonderful views throughout.
- Go Bird Watching: Markham Nature Area is a great spot for bird watchers to observe various species of birds. Spend an afternoon looking for hummingbirds and other beautiful creatures, whether you’re a novice or an experienced birder.
- Picnic in the Park: Pack up your favorite outdoor meal, grab a blanket, and head to Markham Nature Area! Enjoy the stunning views while eating a delicious lunch or dinner.
- Take Photos: Whether you’re an amateur photographer or a professional, Markham Nature Area is the perfect backdrop for some great pictures. Capture nature’s beauty in all its glory while exploring the trails and taking in the sights of this gorgeous spot!
- Relax Under the Trees: After exploring the park, why not take a break and relax under one of the many trees in the area? Enjoy some peaceful moments to yourself or have a picnic with friends – either way, you’re sure to find it refreshing. So come on by and enjoy nature’s beauty!
Map From Markham Nature Area to Our Location
Concord, California is blessed with some of the area’s most incredible trails for you to enjoy with your pooch! Here’s a list of some of our favorites:
- Ohlone Trail Parking (Lime Ridge)
- Markham Nature Area
- Crystl Ranch TrailHead
- Iron Horse Trail
- Lime Ridge Open Space
- Black Diamond Hiking Trail Near Oakhurst
- Newhall Community Park
- Contra Costa Canal Trail
- Len Hester Park
All of these beautiful trails are located just a short distance from our historic location at 1045 Shary Court in Concord! Stop by for a visit anytime!